The 91st Academy Awards will reportedly be held without a host for the first time in 30 years, after comedian Kevin Hart stepped down from his role following a controversy.
According to a report by Variety, the illustrious Oscar awards may get kicked off without a host on stage for the first time as the Academy reportedly seems to have lost all hope of finding a replacement for Kevin Hart who was to earlier host the program.
The Central Intelligence actor stepped down from hosting Oscars after his tweets from 2009-2011 containing derogatory language resurfaced. Hart, in his tweets, had made disparaging comments about sexuality.
Shortly after his “Homophobic” tweets went viral, the Academy, offering an ultimatum to the actor, asked him to issue an official statement apologising for his remarks. Hart, however, refused to apologise for his past comments and quit the award show.
He confirmed his exit in a recent interview to Good Morning America, where he said, “I’m not hosting the Oscars this year.” Former Oscars host Ellen Degeneres had earlier said that she’d contacted the Academy in an effort to help re-hire Hart.
In place of one person taking the stage, the report claims that the award show will now consist of numerous stars introducing various segments instead of having one pillar beginning the show in a monologue.
With time collapsing rapidly till the awards take place at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles, California, the producers seem to be struggling roping in prominent names to take the stage for the show.
The 91st Academy Awards will be held in Beverly Hills on February 25. The nominations will be announced on January 23. This will mark the first time in 30 years that the show has not secured a host.